Welcome to Bawdsey Radar. Discover the story of the men and women and the work they did, in top secret conditions, to develop radar. Operational radar was born here and contributed very significantly to the successful outcome of the Battle of Britain.
Here you will find practical information to help you plan your visit including opening dates, prices and how to get here.
Bawdsey Radar Visit Covid Secure measures in place (Video Transcript)
Sound clips x 3 in Air Filtration Room (Video Transcript)
Open for October
Call 07821 162879
Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun12345678910111213141516171819202122232425262728293031
|Prices for 2020|
|Children 5 - 18||£2.00|
|Under 5's & Friends of Bawdsey||FREE|
|Defence Privilege card holders||£5.00|
Over 65âs, people with disabilities (free admission for an accompanying carer) and adults receiving benefits.
A remarkable new visitor experience
This once-in-a-lifetime structural renovation includes repairs and renovations to the fabric of the transmitter building in addition to the installation of a totally original exhibition.
- The story of radar – stroll between interactive exhibits that bring the history of radar to life
- Keeping the secret – introducing the people who made Bawdsey radar possible.
- Timeline wall – radar from 1935 to the present day
- Aircraft tracking with WW2 radar – a simulation experience
- A history of the Bawdsey Estate over the last 130 years
- Air traffic control – a real-time illustration of the power of radar
- Radar today – from the exploration of Saturn’s rings, to satellites and medical scanners
- Independent research – a dedicated focus space in which you can explore our extensive technical archive
- Enhanced car parking and picnic area
We’d be delighted to help you arrange a visit for your group or association. We’ll do our best to plan your visit to suit any special interests and to schedule a time and date that suits you.
You’ll love our new range of vintage-styled gifts and souvenirs.